- Last Updated on Friday, 27 February 2015 19:08
Since 9/11, airport security has been a significant public concern. The Westchester County Airport is a top priority for the Patrol Services Division (PSD) due to the:
- Increasing volume of travelers the airport serves
- High profile of many of these patrons (including dignitaries and heads of state)
- Airport’s proximity to New York City
PSD Officers assigned to the County Airport are responsible for ensuring that:
- Vehicle and pedestrian traffic moves safely and efficiently
- Passengers comply with boarding procedures monitored by the TSA
- The security of hangars, fence lines and aircraft is not compromised
Communicator -- an airport-wide alert system that notifies the entire airport in case of an emergency within minutes of activation -- is just one tool at the disposal of PSD’s airport patrols.
Another is the Cops and Ops program, a joint effort of PSD officers and civilian airport operations personnel to ensure the security of inner and outer airfield perimeters. Multiple Cops and Ops inspections along with other various inspections are performed throughout the day to monitor airport security.
The continued goal of the PSD at the Westchester County Airport is to facilitate air travel for airport patrons while maintaining the utmost level of security.